Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Review: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


Rating: B-
Genre: Young Adult
Series or Stand-Alone: Twilight Saga
Publish Year: 2005
Number of Pages: 464
Sensuality Rating: Kiss
Part of a Challenge: No

Summary:

Bella Swan’s move to Forks could have been the most boring move she ever made. But when she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Bella.

--

Review:

Twilight is the first book in the much talked about Twilight Saga from author Stephenie Meyer. Twilight is the story of Edward and Bella’s romance. The book is marketed at Young Adult readers but it has the ability to cross age barriers and will satisfy both teenagers and adults alike.

The story is told in first person from the perspective of Bella, so the reader will only ever know what she knows, making Edward and his family a mystery that is slowly unraveled throughout the book.

I was unsure if I really wanted to read this book at first especially after reading a fair amount of mixed reviews about its story. But I did and I’m glad that I read this book. I rarely read vampire novels but I found myself enjoying the story albeit its flaws.

The first part was a bit slow because it takes a while to set up the story but after that, the story became more exciting and action filled. The second half of the book, after Bella saw Edward’s true form, made me excited and craving for more. I wanted to know what will happen next and the story went smoothly and action-filled from there on.

But then again, although the book was entertaining, I think that it was overly done.

Twilight is an okay book but I wouldn’t consider it a personal keeper. One problem I had was the character of Bella. For the most part, I felt that she was too whiny, selfish, and her character seemed flat. I was also distracted by how she would always describe Edward as ‘Too beautiful’ in almost every page. It was too much and making her character shallow. I think her descriptions were a bit redundant and over the top. And while I was reading, I had to remind myself that the story was told from Bella’s point of view and that she was obsessed with him. But then Meyer could have given her character more depth. And really, there are other things that Bella could have been doing, but did she have to cook all the time?

Now I think I understand where the mixed reception for Twilight is coming from. All in all, I will give Twilight 3.5 stars. It’s a good book but it fell short from what I was expecting especially since a lot of people had been raving about it.

2 comments:

Carpoolqueen (formerly known as Beth) said...

You've been bookwormed! I'm awarding you the coveted "Bookworm Award" this post will give you more details.

http://justyouraveragecarpoolqueen.blogspot.com/2008/12/bookworm-award.html

Grain de Beaute said...

Thanks for the tag Beth. ^_^